Saturday, March 1, 2014

How long does it take to learn to ride a unicycle?

Someone had done a poll on this. See http://klaasbil.home.xs4all.nl/agelearn_short.htm

Based on the chart shown on the web page, it is quite safe to say that typically it is very possible to learn riding in less than 30 hours.


I spent more hours than the average people to learn. I believe it is due to the following reasons:
  • While learning to ride (practicing in the house), I was leaning to the wall, cupboard etc. Instead of learning to balance and center myself on the unicycle, I am tilting towards the side due to fear of falling. It would be wonderful if there was a coach or friend to hold on to while he/she walk alongside me, then I wouldn't be leaning to one side.
  • While practicing at the basketball court, the furthest distance that I could travel is the width of the court. I would fall if I tried to turn and ride the length of the court. My mind had the impression that I was unable to travel longer distance. But the fact is that I haven't master the skill of turning. I discover this when I went to practice at the park. Suddenly I could ride very long distance in a straight line without falling. I only fell when trying to make a turn!
  • The seats on my unicycle is hard as a brick, after less than half an hour on it, I would feel soreness. My mobility/flexibility became affected as I tried to avoid more pain to the crotch area. Talk about poor learning quality.
I believe if the above 3 problems were to be avoided, it is achievable for anyone to learn riding within 10 hours!



No comments:

Post a Comment