Thursday, March 13, 2014

Not all unicycle free-mount techniques are made equal, and they have different name too.

When I am riding my 24" unicycle, I will use static mount most of the time. But if I became very tired from riding and there is a lamp post or sign post a few steps away, I will use it to mount the unicycle.

When I am using my 19" unicycle, I prefer the rollback mount which I find easier. I have tried to use rollback mount on the 24" unicycle but I couldn't do it successfully. The success rate on the 19" is pretty high (100 % hehehe....)

I discover that the success rate is the highest when the ground is down-sloping. I find it impossible to mount on an uphill.

And it seemed easier to mount when the path is wider (psychological??).

For my static mount, the success rate had increased after I got a tip from Geoffrey Tay. He told me to try to freeze for a moment after mounting the unicycle instead of trying to ride off immediately. That really helps to regain balance and improve stability.

I remember spending several weeks to learn to free-mount without success. It was very frustrating.

But after watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eah8y8uzNf0

the magic was revealed at 2:15 mark. I tried that technique and within half hour, I managed to freemount successfully for the first time. And the rest is history :)

1 comment:

  1. The “magic,” at least for the kid in the YouTube clip, is this: he’s keeping the wheel from moving by placing his back foot ON THE CRANK (at least PARTIALLY on the crank, and partially on the pedal). Once he’s landed his second foot on the front pedal, he repositions his back foot from the crank to the pedal before taking off… this he does by “hopping” a few times while repositioning his foot.

    ReplyDelete